Tuesday, August 7, 2007

First Day Of School





I did it! The one thing I was really nervous about was going to the first day of school. But I didn´t really need to be worried. The people were really nice. One of the counsellors at the school who spoke english took me around the school and introduced me to my classmates. Unlike most schools in Chile, Colegio Amalia Errazuriz is like schools in Canada. Instead of staying in the classroom and having the teachers change classrooms, we went to different classrooms for each subject. The first girl I met was Yiliana. She introduced me to all the other people. It is a small school so there is only one class in each grade. There were so many names at once that I only remember a few. Cote was the girl who led me around the school all day, and her friend Mariana also. In the classes, it was really laid back. Not like at Scona where, when the teacher walks in, the class starts. Here, the teacher walks in, talks to the students and 15 or 20 mintues after the bell, the class starts. Also, everyone talks during the entire class, and the teacher doesn´t seem to mind. It was a bit hard to concentrate, but I´ll get used to it.
The classes I had today were philosophy (i think, the translation was weird), Physics, Spanish and History. I understood a lot of the physics stuff because the words are very similar to English. Also, I figured out that in History they were studying the Renaissance, which I just did in Social Studies, so I caught on. The teachers talked really fast so the lectures didn´t go well, but when they wrote on the board, I usually understood.
All the people in the class were really nice, and they talked to me a lot. They were very interested in Canada and my life there and my hobbies etc. Then we came to soccer (of course) and they were all really loud and excited about something. I figures out that they were talking about the riot in Toronto after the world cup, and people from Chile getting arrested. They also knew about West Edmonton Mall.
Because lunch is the most important meal of the day, and usually it is a large meal, I did not bring one. Instead, my host mom brought me lunch at 1:00 when the lunch hour started. I thought this would be embarrassing, but when I went there, there was at least half the school waiting for lunches to be dropped off at the front. My lunch was, of course, huge and I didn´t finish it. All the girls at the table thought it was funny that I barely ate anything, but I was so full! At lunch, I also had a chance to talk to Nikolai. He told me he doesn´t understand anything in his classes, either. There is supposed to be another exchange student from Sweden in my class, but she was sick today. Her name is Nicole. I hope tomorrow is as eventful as today!